The Georgian House - Library
Built 1790, architect William Paty
The Georgian House was built in 1790 for John Pinney, a wealthy slave plantation owner and sugar merchant. It was also where the enslaved African Pero lived, brought from Pinney’s Caribbean plantation on Nevis.
John Pinney was a West India merchant who came to Bristol after retiring from his plantations in 1783. He founded Pinney and Tobin sugar merchants and became a very wealthy man.
The house is displayed as it might have looked in the 18th century and provides an insight into life above and below stairs. There are 11 rooms spread over four floors, including:
On 19 March 1783, the African Olaudah Equiano called on anti-slavery campaigner Granville Sharp (see Campaign for abolition) with news of an event. Read more...
The city of Kingston upon Hull has a centuries-old sea-faring commercial history, but its location on the east coast of England ensured that its commerce was shaped by maritime links to Europe. Read more...
Bristol continued its involvement in the slave trade until abolition but in decreasing numbers in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Read more...
Although London would eventually be eclipsed by Bristol and Liverpool as a slave-trading port, its involvement in the trade was both longer...Read more..